Home | Mailing List | Specifications | Care and Feeding | Modifications | Vendors | Literature
My husband and I own a 1998 Ford Taurus SHO, 64k miles. The engine seized a couple of weeks ago and the Ford dealership here in Fort Collins, Colorado, informed us that we needed a new engine (new = $16,000 and rebuilt = $11,000 -- labor included). We noticed a website with your names and a class action lawsuit against Ford (which the deadline for entries has expired). Do you know of any other class action lawsuits against Ford? Any information you have would be helpful.
Details Pending - U.L.
1. VIN#s 1FAFP54N8WA221802, title listed as Jeffrey W. Whitham
2. Date of malfunction May 15, 2004
3. Where did the malfunction take place (highway, city streets, driveway, parking lot, etc.) Harmony Road
4. Odometer reading at time of malfunction 64,558
5. How fast were you traveling? 45 mph
6. Were you accelerating or staying at a constant speed? Constant speed
7. Estimated date of purchase, new or used? 06/09/98 -- New
8. Estimated Odometer reading at time of purchase 21
9. Full Name, address, and a good phone# to reach you at during the day and night. Tavi Whitham, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80525,
10. Brief description of the time of events leading towards the malfunction. (what did you hear and see before, during, and after the malfunction) New transmission on 10/03 and all fluids were checked at that time at Spradley Barr Ford in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Oil light came on, husband put oil into vehicle (took 3 quarts), engine made a knocking noise for about a week prior to failure.
11. Customer service phone # you called and the name of the person you talked to. (if you can remember) Jay Dee Smith at Spradley Barr, 970-206-8550.
12. Did you feel satisfied with the answers customer service provided? Explain. No! All they said was that there was "internal engine damage" and the only way to fix it was to put in a new engine. He quoted a new engine cost of $16,500 without labor or a rebuilt one of about $10,500 including labor.
13. Which dealership did you take your vehicle in for service? (name, address, phone#) Spradley Barr, 4809 S. College Ave., PO Box 270710, Ft. Collins, CO, 80527, 970-206-8550.
14. What was the cause of failure determined by the dealer? Internal engine damage.
15. What was the cause of failure determined by you? Unknown
16. How much was your statement? (I hope you kept your receipt) $89.61 plus $200.01 rental car.
17. What can FOMOCO do to make you a satisfied Ford owner? Replace the engine!
Sure would be interested to know where this dealer thinks he is going to get a new engine.