Home | Mailing List | Specifications | Care and Feeding | Modifications | Vendors | Literature


Alternator Replacement & More Loctite

new 2/3/03

V8SHO  1997 Black  90,000 miles. Every option known to man…yes… I do have the integrated factory voice command phone!

Fears of failure finally overwhelmed me! Well…that and a cracked alternator housing with bearings that were whistling and howling like a Wrestlemania fan in heat, and a misfire that had become non-fire constant. Being a confident knuckle buster with little common sense I approached these problems as usual. I would slay the beast myself and then feel assured that the next turn of the key would not cause a cacophony of minced metal heralding the arrival of dreaded “shocamfatality ”.

Armed with the practical advice generously shared by others on V8sho.com, a rebuilt alternator from a local supplier, Loctite obtained after considerable consultation with Loctite technical staff, adequate clothing and a portable heater to combat the –5  temperature weather, I was prepared. I must elaborate that Loctite staff were very anxious to help despite my declaration that I was purchasing a rather insignificant amount of product. First Class Operation!

(Ford could learn from these guys)!

I proceeded as suggested by your various contributors and all went “charmingly” save for the re/re alternator. It did not want to come out of it’s hidey hole despite lowering the sub frame and detaching everything except the CD player. However …wrecking bar leverage and considerable grunt produced enough clearance to finally remove the sad looking battered and broken wattage warrior….. Thank- you Paul Nimz

Next task to tackle. Removal of intake runners, surge tank , valve covers etc. This all went swimmingly save for the trial and error of fitting odd assorted bolt head sizes some Metric and Non Metric and dropping the thin metal gasket for the E.G.R. (I know you warned me). I found this all easier to do by releasing the hood hydraulic lifts and extending and securing it in a fully vertical position.

Camshaft sprocket servicing:   NOTE TO LOCTITE USERS !!!

A previous article in V8SHO indicated Loctite Product 294 is no longer available.!

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I did have to special order through a local distributor. Delivery took 2 days.

Thread Locker Number # 294  IS   Loctite Part Number  #  27935

Primer Actuator Number 7649 IS   Loctite Part Number  #  21348 


Loctite Website provides Technical Data Sheets with the specifics of these products. Before ordering (was going to order 290!)  I spoke with an engineer at Loctite who had heard of this issue before. He recommended the products I used as most suitable considering  temperature variables, stress, fitting tolerance, presence of oil and the necessity for “wicking” to disperse the product into the joints.

I first fashioned aluminum foil “bowls” under the work areas to prevent any dispersion into the engine. After using engine cleaner applied with an artists brush to remove as much oil or other contaminants, I used a wet/dry vacuum while brushing with hot water followed by compressed air and a cotton cloth to get to bare metal.

Spraying the primer into the joint is easy, but mask the area to prevent over spray. After waiting the prescribed time I used a second application of primer as was recommended. I also used a hair dryer to try to ensure any surplus primer in the joints would dry. Next was the application of the Loctite Thread locker. I followed the advice of several contributors and used an office push-pin to open the top of the squeeze bottle. It worked perfect as you can control the flow from the tube as this stuff “wicks” (boy does it ever) into the joint. By applying to both sides, back and forth and at different locations I was able to get the joints filled to form a bead. Vacuumed out the foil bowls (never too careful here) and reassembled. Let sit for one day.

During assembly discovered that surge tank was resting on spark plug and other wires causing a possible short. Found one wire (spark) with cooked insulator, so I replaced a section and used plastic wire wrap for protection. (DUMB!) After replacing the rear plugs (1st time) cleaned surge tank of oily gum inside and cleaned P.C.V. pipe and fitting. Put everything together, fired it up and took for a drive. Running on eight cylinders now ….What a difference!

Three days later engine started to misfire like before. Should have re-routed wire or used heat proof insulator. Despite the misfire I am well pleased with the Loctite fix to the extent I don’t think about it any more.

The Blue Goo (Loctite 294) has a break loose torque of 257-321 inch lbs.  I feel quite comfortable with this fix done in Mid November. It’s been a little over two months and perhaps it might be hasty to say so, but this seems like a fix worthy of considering for owners with some mechanical skill.  I will keep you updated! Have pictures taken of process but none add anything new to those which you have readily available.

Ernie Roberts

Contact Information