WARNING: THE UNLEADED GASOLINE FUEL PUMP MUST NOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLE FUEL PUMP, OR PREMATURE FUEL PUMP FAILURE WILL OCCUR.
The fuel system has a fuel pump relay (part of constant control relay module [CCRM]) controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM), which provides power to the fuel pump under various operating conditions.
This assembly includes a check valve which is inside the manifold outlet of the fuel pump module. The function of this valve is to maintain pressure in the system after the vehicle is shut down.
The pressure retention helps prevent hot starting concerns.
The fuel pump for the:
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
|Fuel Tank Sender Wrench||T74P-9275-A|
|Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) Fuel Pressure Gauge||T80L-9974-B|
1. Place vehicle on hoist but do not raise.
2. Install Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) Fuel Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B or Rotunda Fuel (Methanol/Ethanol) Pressure Test Kit 134-R0035 or equivalent (depending upon application) and depressurize fuel system.
3. Drain fuel from fuel tank through fuel tank filler pipe as described.
4. Raise vehicle on hoist.
5. Remove fuel tank and move to bench.
6. Remove any dirt that has accumulated around fuel pump module retaining flange so that it will not enter fuel tank during removal and installation.
7. Turn fuel pump module locking retainer ring counterclockwise using Fuel Tank Sender Wrench T74P-9275-A and remove fuel pump module locking retainer ring.
8. Pull fuel pump module sender plate up out of fuel tank until locking tabs for fuel pump module are accessible. Squeeze both locking tabs together and remove fuel pump module from fuel tank.
9. Remove O-ring seal and discard.
1. Clean fuel pump module retaining flange, fuel tank mounting surface and seal ring groove.
2. Apply a light coating of Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-BA on a new O-ring seal to hold it in place during assembly and install O-ring in seal ring groove.
3. Install fuel pump module carefully into fuel tank to make sure that filter, hoses and float rod are not damaged or binding. Align fuel pump module and fuel tank retainer axially and push fuel pump module into fuel tank retainer. When fuel pump module is engaged, a definite click will be heard and the (two) outside tabs on fuel pump module will be engaged on the outside of the fuel tank retainer. The fuel pump module must be snapped in the retainer with both tabs. Pull on fuel pump module to make sure it is fully engaged. Install fuel pump module sender plate to fuel tank, being careful that locating keys are in keyways and O-ring seal remains in place.
4. Hold assembly in place and install fuel pump module locking retainer ring finger-tight. Make sure that all locking tabs are under fuel pump module locking retainer ring tabs.
5. Secure fuel pump module unit by rotating fuel pump module locking retainer ring clockwise using Fuel Tank Sender Wrench T74P-9275-A until fuel pump module locking retainer ring snugs against stops.
6. Move fuel tank from bench to vehicle.
7. Install fuel tank in vehicle as described.
8. Lower vehicle.
9. Install a minimum of 38 liters (10 gallons) of fuel. Check for leaks.
10. Turn ignition switch to RUN position for three seconds repeatedly (5 to 10 times) until Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) Fuel Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B or Rotunda Fuel (Methanol/Ethanol) Pressure Test Kit 134-R0035 or equivalent (depending upon application) shows at least 207 kPa (30 psi). Check for leaks at fittings.
11. Remove Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) Fuel Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B or Rotunda Fuel (Methanol/Ethanol) Pressure Test Kit 134-R0035 or equivalent (depending upon application), start engine and recheck for leaks.
|9C385||Fuel Pump Locking Retainer Ring|
|9H307||Fuel Pump Module|
|--||Locking Tab (Part of 9H307)|
|--||Connector (Part of 14405 Wiring Assy)|
Fuel Pump Module Terminals
|1||--||Fuel Return (Part of 9H308)|
|2||9H307||Fuel Pump Module|
|3||--||Sender Power (Part of 9H308)|
|4||--||Pump Power (Part of 9H308)|
|5||--||Sender Ground (Part of 9H308)|
|6||--||Pump Ground (Part of 9H308)|
|7||--||Foot (Part of 9H308)|
|8||--||Fuel Outlet (Part of 9H308)|
For detailed photographs click on this link. Our thanks to Kirk for butchering another one for the cause!