Accessory Drive Belts, Information
Note: When a drive belt is replaced or reinstalled after a service procedure, the drive belt does not fully seat into pulley grooves until engine has run for several minutes.
Note: The drive belt tensioner arm should rotate freely without binding.
Taurus, Sable vehicles are equipped with V-ribbed serpentine drive belts:
Drive belt chirp is a regularly occurring chirping noise that occurs due to:
To correct drive belt chirp:
Drive Belt Wear Indicator
Note: The drive belt tensioner wear indicator mark inspection is done with the engine OFF.
Automatic drive belt tensioners are spring-loaded devices which set and maintain the drive belt tension. The drive belt should not require tension adjustment for the life of the drive belt. Automatic drive belt tensioners have drive belt wear indicator marks. If the indicator mark is not between the MIN and MAX marks, the drive belt is worn or an incorrect drive belt has been installed.
Automatic drive belt tensioners do not have to be removed to remove
a drive belt. To remove a drive belt, rotate the drive belt tensioner away
from the drive belt.
Drive Belt Wear Indicator Marks
If the indicator marks are difficult to see, locate the tab on the drive
belt tensioner face plate. The tab should be approximately between the
Serpentine Drive Belt Replacement
WARNING: IF EQUIPPED, DO NOT ALLOW DRIVE BELT TENSIONER TO SNAP BACK AS DAMAGE TO DRIVE BELT TENSIONER OR PERSONAL INJURY COULD RESULT.
Note: Minor cracks in the V-grooved portion of the serpentine drive belt are considered normal and acceptable. If the drive belt has chunks missing from the ribs, the drive belt should be replaced.
Note: Conditions requiring drive belt replacement are excessive wear, rib chunk-out, severe glazing, frayed cords or other conditions. Replace any drive belt exhibiting any of these conditions.
Note: When installing drive belt on pulley, make sure that all V-grooves make proper contact with pulleys.
1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. WARNING: USE CAUTION WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING DRIVE BELT TO MAKE SURE WRENCH DOES NOT SLIP FROMDRIVE BELT TENSIONER OR POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR DAMAGE TO DRIVE BELT TENSIONER AND DRIVE BELT MAY OCCUR.
Using a 3/8 inch ratchet on the lifting lug, rotate drive belt tensioner
counterclockwise (upward) and engage spring keeper. Remove drive belt from
drive belt tensioner.
3. Lower vehicle.
4. Remove drive belt.
1. Install drive belt over all pulleys (except drive belt tensioner).
2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
3. Rotate drive belt tensioner , as described under Removal procedure and install drive belt over drive belt tensioner pulley. Make sure all V-grooves make proper contact with pulleys. Make sure the spring keeper is released or improper belt tension will occur.
Pulley Routing--Accessory Drive Belt, 3.4L SHO
|1||3A733||Power Steering Pump Pulley|
|2||6B217 (RH)||Idler Pulley|
|6||6B209||Drive Belt Tensioner|
|8||6B217 (LH)||Idler Pulley|
|9||6B217 (Center)||Idler Pulley|
Drive Belt, Water Pump
1. Rotate drive belt tensioner clockwise by hand and remove drive belt
from drive belt tensioner .
2. Remove drive belt from water pump drive pulley and water pump pulley.
1. Position drive belt onto water pump drive pulley and water pump pulley.
2. Rotate drive belt tensioner clockwise by hand and install drive belt over top of drive belt tensioner pulley. Make sure all V-grooves make proper contact with pulleys.
Pulley Routing--Water Pump Drive Belt
|1||6B209||Drive Belt Tensioner|
Automatic Drive Belt Tensioner
Removal and Installation
1. Remove serpentine drive belt as described.
2. Remove drive belt tensioner retaining bolt and drive belt tensioner from generator bracket.
3. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten drive belt tensioner retaining bolt to 52-78 N-m (39-57 lb-ft).
|3||6019||Engine Front Cover|
|4||6B209||Drive Belt Tensioner|
|5||6B222||Drive Belt Tensioner Shaft|
|A||--||Tighten to 52-78 N-m (39-57 Lb-Ft)|