97-18-4, Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 2, 1997
1993-98 CONTINENTAL, MARK VIII, SABLE
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the model years.
Some vehicles may experience static in the AM band of the radio while driving. This may be caused by isolation between the wheel bearing and the chassis which allows static electricity to build up in the wheel bearings. This static electricity creates an interference with the radio on the AM bands.
Install a wheel bearing static collector and new hub cap grease seal to the non-drive wheels which will allow the static electricity to be discharged through the vehicle's chassis. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
1. Remove the non-drive wheels only.
2. Remove the hub cap grease seals from both non-drive wheels only and discard.
3. Install the new wheel bearing Static Collector (F4PZ-18938-A) into both hubs as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 - Article 97-18-4
4. Install new Hub Cap Grease Seals (F3DZ-1N135-A) on both hubs.
5. Reinstall the wheels to the vehicle and torque the wheel hub bolts to the correct specification listed in the appropriate Service Manual, Section 04-04.
6. Verify the repair.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OASIS CODES: 207000, 304000