We purchased a 1998 SHO about 7 months ago and good thing we bought the ESP.
We had cam failure at 76,000 miles. The dealer we purchased from had to send the car to a local ford dealer to have repaired.
I had them give me a copy of what they did to my car. I could not believe that it was around $3,000.00 to fix the car.
When we received the car back my husband was looking on the web and found this site. Any way he talk to the guy that worked on the car at the local ford dealer and he said that they welded one cam but could not do any of the others because they where still working. My question was for how long? Oddly enough, the report did not say that they welded any of the cams. We were told verbally. We are taking the car to have all cams welded. We saw that there was a law suit and would like to participate.
Can you please reply with a list of all the information that you would need from us to join in on the law suit.
1. VIN#s 1FAFP54N3WA193200
2. Date of malfunction took to shop on 12/03/2003
3. Where did the malfunction take place (highway, city streets, driveway, parking lot, etc.) Durant, ok, making noise so took to shop
4. Odometer reading at time of malfunction 76,530
5. How fast were you traveling?
6. Were you accelerating or staying at a constant speed?
7. Estimated date of purchase, new or used? 05/17/2003
8. Estimated Odometer reading at time of purchase 62,979
9. Full Name, address, and a good phone# to reach you at during the day and night.
Jason or Melissa Mitchell
10. Brief description of the time of events leading towards the malfunction. (what did you hear and see before, during, and after the malfunction)
Purchased From Hoyte in Sherman,TX on 05/17/2003 drove car to work and back.. one day heard noise like a knock tick, noise told husband and then we took to Hoyte (on 12/03/03 the first time) and they told me it is supposed to make this noise because of the car being a SHO car. That is normal (over the phone) my husband picks up the car when he gets off work at 7:00 am on Dec. 9th 2003 and by the time he drives from Sherman to Durant. it is so loud you can hear it a block a way. took back told them on 12/9/2003 and that it was under warranty and i would not pick the car up till it was fixed. 2wks later they said that they fixed the car and that they took it to Bob Utter Ford (in Sherman TX) my husband calls the and talks to the person that worked on the car and he said that he welded the one that was messed up. and that is it... No on 1/16/04 we can hear something again... (so upset. know it is out of warranty and it starts again what to do - Bob Utter Ford Charged Hoyte $2667.46 (have a copy of Bob Utters invoice)
11. Customer service phone # you called and the name of the person you talked to.
I have His card also Name Robert Kehrer phone 903-893-0144 ext.226 fax 903-893-2779
address 2300N. Sam Rayburn FRWY, Sherman,TX 75090
12. Did you feel satisfied with the answers customer service provided? Explain.
If they now that the cams need to be welded (because the did one) while they where working on it they did not call and let me know that they could only weld one and not all of them. I would have been happy to pay to have them weld the others while he was doing the same to the only one he did but they did not give me the option.
13. Which dealership did you take your vehicle in for service?
2300 N. Sam Rayburn Freeway
Sherman, TX 75090
also has this address
2300. 75 North
Sherman, TX 75090
Which took it to
Bob Utter Ford
2525 Texoma PRKWY.
Sherman, TX 75090
Sherman number 903-893-8300
Dallas number 972-634-3673
14. What was the cause of failure determined by the dealer?
This is off the invoice page. (if I can get your mailing address I will send the information to that I have. Thanks
removed rear camshaft and had pressed on sprocket repaired to camshaft and reinstalled camshaft t removed engine to replaced frt timing chains and d guides and reinstalled engine assembly.
Performed diag and tore down top of engine and removed camshaft.
15. What was the cause of failure determined by you?
Noise that car should not be making SHO car or not.
16. How much was your statement? (I hope you kept your receipt)
The cost of repair for parts and labor was $2667.46
17. What can FOMOCO do to make you a satisfied Ford owner?
Weld all for be for my husband goes spends money on this when ford could have done this to began with. If nothing was wrong with the other just how much time would it have take to weld the other he already had every thing ready while doing the welded on the ONE he did do. now it is making noise again...
Taking to have them welded and fixed (ford should pay for this not me)...
Ps. I hope this will help other with SHO cars as well as help us get our money back.
I would be utterly surprised if a ford tech actually welded a cam sprocket. I would be even more shocked if it was done correctly. Ford does not recognize a problem and as such could not authorize the welding of a cam sprocket to a cam that did not have a problem. YOU NEED TO GET ALL FOUR CAMS WELDED NOW!!!!! See Folks who will weld your cams and get it done. Otherwise, you will experience this again.
Ford Techs for the most part have no clue about our cars, as amply demonstrated above. DO NOT TEMP FATE.